Friday, March 23, 2012

I don't buy..... Window Cleaner

     I used to buy all the normal cleaning supplies- window cleaner, oven cleaner, tub and toilet cleaner and so on. As I have worked to have less chemicals in our house and also to worked to save money I no longer buy any of the cleaning supplies that I used to. There are cheaper and safer ways to get things clean and for that I am thankful! I also like that there is far less packaging to throw away with these new methods.
  What I use for windows (or walls, counters, etc.) is extremely simple and cheap. I simply fill my spray bottle nearly full of water and then add around 3/4 cup of white vinegar and shake it up. It is then good to go. Sometimes depending on the job I may add a drop or two of dish soap for some extra cleaning power or I may add Tea Tree oil for a good scent and extra disinfecting ability. No matter what method you use it is very simple to make and works just fine!
 I did also read recently of another idea that I would like to try but haven't yet- and that is to soak orange peels in the vinegar before you use the vinegar to make this cleaner. They say it adds a nice smell and cleaning power.

   When I wash windows the method that I like best is to spray them down and then using a scratch/scrubby pad I scrub the window and then using a squeegee (which I wipe dry with a rag after each swipe) I get the whole window streak free. When I do mirrors I simply spray and then wipe with a lint free rag like an old cloth diaper.

  Have a natural and clean house doesn't have to be expensive- in fact it can be much cheaper than one that is filled with chemicals. Give simplicity a try!

I am linking this to Frugal Friday at Life as MOM.

1 comment:

jack said...

I did also read recently of another idea that I would like to try but haven't yet- and that is to soak orange peels
automatic air freshener

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin