Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Handmade Christmas- Week 1 {A button headband}

 

Welcome to the first week of "A Handmade Christmas 2012".
I am so glad you stopped by!

Throughout the coming weeks I plan on sharing various handmade gift ideas (most of them simple and economical- just because that is the way I work) as well as some decorating and holiday food ideas. This carnival will also have a linky so if you have blogged about something that is handmade and goes along with Christmas (and is family friendly) I would love it if you would leave your link here so that all of us can see your idea too!

Today I have a simple idea to share. It is something I made this Summer and I think it would make a fun and easy stocking stuffer. It uses buttons that you can cut off of old dress shirts or any old clothing that has small buttons. This craft is a perfect accompaniment to my making of rag rugs- the fabric part of the old clothes goes into the rug and the buttons I can turn into headbands or bracelets.

Here is the Headband that I made:

To make the headband you need:
~ Sturdy Elastic Thread (start with around 4 feet and then you can cut off excess)
~Buttons



Take your first button and put your thread through it as shown with this first button at the middle of the thread.
Then add another button, place it so it overlaps the first button.
Put the threads through the next holes on the button and then you would add another button.
You want the buttons to go back and forth as shown here.
When you get to the end (keep checking the length on your head to get it right) just simply connect up with the first button and then tie it securely.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Now....
Would you like to share a Handmade idea? I would love it if you would link up or share your thoughts in the comments!

If you would be willing to use my "A Handmade Christmas" picture in your post and link back to here so that more people can learn about this and join us I would be very grateful!
 
I cannot seem to get the linky to work- I have had trouble with this in the past and I don't know what I do wrong or maybe it simply can be a challange to use- anyway- Please just leave your link in the comments and then as I get time I will move it up here myself. Thank you!
(And you have trouble using my comments then feel free to e-mail your post's URL to me.)
 
Please Check out these ideas that others have shared:
 

I am linking this up to another Handmade Christmas Carnival that is going on over at Schneider Peeps.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

I am so glad you decided to go ahead and do this series again this year! I do love reading it. I don't blog myself (and seldom create lately unfortunately), but I love the series.

Kati said...

That is so pretty! My sister and nieces would like something like this.

I would like to link up this...
http://katislittlecorner.blogspot.com/2011/11/three-uses-for-scrapbook-paper.html

Anonymous said...

Cute idea!

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

That is so cute! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to reading the rest of the series ( I enjoyed last year's as well!). I plan on sharing this series on my blog's facebook page so others can tune in as well!

Unknown said...

I love this. My almost teenage daughter wears alot of handbands, this would be a good stocking suffer for her. Also, thanks for sharing this with us at Handmade Christmas 2012 (http://www.schneiderpeeps.com/2012/10/homemade-gifts-for-women.html)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin