Monday, November 25, 2013

A Rooster Named Mabel

Life with chickens is still going pretty good but no eggs yet. We are hoping some will show up soon! We have been able now for a month or so been able to tell which ones are roosters and which ones are hens and we ended up with some surprises.

  You see - we didn't quite get what we ordered. We had ordered 5 Gold Sex Links Hens, 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens, 5 Mixed batch of whatever they cared to send and then Aaron bought a female Americana and Megan bought a Bantam that they weren't sure the gender of. We did get the 5 female Golden Sex links, and then we got 5 female Plymouth Rocks and then a mixed group that included at least one Silver Laced Wyandottes. I was a little confused when we first got them as to which ones were the Silver Laced Wyandottes but we just guessed and went with it and assumed that all of the ones that looked kind of the same were them and were females.

  We named our chickens according to our understanding of the gender that they were supposed to be (though some got either-or names as we weren't sure or that is simply what the kids chose.) One of our roosters (we have two) ended up being Mabel. We did talk of changing his name (once we discovered he wasn't a girl) but that seemed a little strange so Mabel he remains. I guess our family has problems with name changing. My parents have a female dog named Amos after all. They got him from a guy who said it was a male and so my parents never bothered to check. They like their dogs quite a lot but they aren't the type to get up close and personal with them and so it wasn't until some time later that it was discovered that "He" was actually a she. Name changing was discussed but they decided against it.

Mabel is a pretty nice rooster and he has been practicing crowing the last couple of weeks. It is rather fun to hear the crowing. Cock-eye is our other rooster and he too has started to crow. It feels rather farm like to have roosters crowing.

   Have you ever had any weirdly named animals at your house? I would love to hear the story!

I am linking to the Homestead Barn Hop
homestead barn hop linky
 

2 comments:

Amy and Mark said...

Mabel is a lovely rooster name!

As for pet names, I got a guinea pig in the third grade. It was black and brown like a Resses cup so that is what name I chose. Later someone asked if it was a boy or girl. I said, "I don't know how do I tell?" They replied, "Look underneath." I flipped it over and looked but being only 8 had no idea what I was looking for...I thought it was pretty so I said "It's a girl!" Later the vet confirmed, anatomically, that it was in fact a girl. It wasn't until high school health class that I finally understood what they had wanted me to look for underneath! :)

I praise the Lord I didn't know at 8 years old!

Abbi said...

Amy and Mark - Thanks so much for sharing your story!! So fun to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin