Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ways We Have Saved Money Lately

 This week has been a good one for frugal activities. Here is some of what we have been doing lately:
~I made a basket out of "trash". Truly what I previously (not long ago) quickly through into the trash without another thought. I still do sometimes when I have to much but it is much more fun to find a second life for it.
 ~On Thursday I wanted to head out to our land mid day to work on the garden and Ken was planning on meeting me there after work. I needed to have a supper and I didn't really feel like taking the time that day to cook over a fire. Then I remember a method of cooking that I had used before but not done for a while. It is a really simple and fuel efficient method. You simply bring your food to a boil and then put it into some very well insulated spot for a few hours to finish the cooking. I mixed rice, broth with meat, green beans and green onions together and brought it to a boil and then stuck it in our pressure canner with towels wrapped thoroughly around it and the lid on. I simply stuck it in the van after boiling it at about 2:30 pm and there it stayed until we ate at around 6:30 pm. The food was quite well cooked and hot. It works like a charm! I didn't need electricity to keep it cooking.
 The finished product.

~I cut the boys hair

~I packed meals for all the times we were away from home. Sometimes I really start to run out of inspiration for doing that but I did manage even though we had 5 suppers this week away from home (plus some lunches).

~I harvested food which we ate.
 ~I made underwear and boxers from old t-shirts. So nice to be able to make a superior product (in my opinion) for free. I generally re-purpose elastic so usually the only thing that is purchased for making them is thread.

~I made handkerchiefs.

~I gave a handmade gift at the baby shower we went to.

~We ate a lot of leftovers.
 ~I made more menstrual pads.

~I didn't go to the grocery store at all (Ken did stop somewhere quick on his own to get some icecream.) I have been working to use up food that we already have on hand. I am hoping not to move so much.

~I used flowers leftover from recent weddings to dress up our house and to give some to others as well.
 ~We are making our garage ourselves rather than hiring anybody.

~I made "new" cards form old cards.
~We took advantage of Megan going to camp free this year since she is a first time camper. The kids had a wonderful week of camp (I picked them up this morning).

~I made homemade yogurt.

~I did a bunch of mending.

What frugal things have you been doing?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin