Saturday, September 20, 2014

The House is Going Up!



This week has been a fun one for watching the progress on our house. Last week they poured the basement floor and then put the floor trusses on and the floor boards. This week all the walls got framed on the main level. It is so neat to actually be able to walk in rooms now, see how big the windows will be and get a better feel for what it is going to be like.

  The other fun thing that went on this week was my sister and brother-in-law and their family came and worked on making our fireplace. My brother-in-law works for the railroad now but he used to be a brick mason and he offered to make our fireplace. We are incredibly grateful! We had been busy over the last couple of weeks finding and hauling rock and now we are seeing some of them go into place.
I love being able to use the real stones (many of them from our own property and some from my parents and others from the fields of a farmer friend) to make something that will be beautiful and useful for our home.

  This week also my dad with helpers cut up some of the logs from our place with his saw mill. We will be getting our mantle from a huge pine tree that stood on our house spot and he is also making other boards too. We think we may use some on the ceiling in the living room and we also would like to build a bunk bed for the boys.

  Ken and I have also been busily making decisions on rock for the outside of the house, door styles and more. The decisions seem to be nearly endless. Sometimes I feel like I don't really care and it doesn't really matter and sometimes I can be pretty picky. I just really like things that are real and natural and simple as much as possible.

   Yesterday the trusses for the next floor got delivered so it will be fun to watch the 2nd story go up next week.

1 comment:

Amy and Mark said...

What beautiful ways to bring the nature around you inside!

Praying for a quick, safe build! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin