Tuesday, May 19, 2015

We Have Ducklings!



 We have 15 little ducklings at our place and they are super cute. Chicks are pretty cute too (and we have 60 plus of them here too) but Ducklings are just a bit more adorable than chicks. Especially with how they will follow the kids around. And their love for playing in puddles.
  We have a Mama duck named Gwendolyn which Megan got last Spring along with another duck but that duck was taken by some wild animal. Gwendolyn is an Indian Runner duck and was a yellow duckling.
 Some friends from church gave the boys a male Khaki Camel duck who they named Sir Francis Drake. He and Gwendolyn have gotten along wonderfully and follow each other around all the time. They do not like to be separated in the world of chickens that they are a part of. The kids love taking them for swims in the river which they seem to enjoy somewhat but quickly head home again after just a little time in the water.
 Daddy Drake is brown and every one of the 15 ducklings seems have taken after him. We are curious though if they will stand tall like their Indian runner Mama or stand more like their dad. So far it looks like they are going to be more like their Dad.
Gwendolyn has proven to be an excellent egg layer and Khaki Camels are supposed to be even better so we have high expectations for these ducklings.

   We are trying to be really careful and wash our hands carefully after handling them as we don't want to get any salmonella this year! (Megan seemed to have had a bought with it last year).
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Abbi,
I absolutely love your blog! I only found it today looking for the directions on how to make a tshirt rug. I think that coming upon your blog has been a blessing. I have the makings of a Proverbs 31 woman, but I forgot who I am because of all the challenges and negativity I have been so focused on overcoming. I've only recently learned that if I let go and let the Lord, it isn't so difficult. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank you for your wonderful blog! I ask that you receive many blessings! (:
Valerie

Abbi said...

Valerie, Thank you so very much for your kind comment. I wish the best for you in working on being a Proverbs 31 woman. It is a fun journey!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin