Sunday, January 31, 2016

Daily Bible Reading Challenge

  Did you spend time in God's word this past week? Did it is cause you to worship God more? Did something really stand out in your mind as something that you really needed to hear? Did it prompt you to action? Did you find an interesting fact?

  I enjoyed this past week of reading. There are so many different scriptures that would be fun to share but I will limit it to one scripture section per question. :-)

  What did I read that causes me to worship God more?
I really enjoyed reading Psalm 104. That chapter is full of praise for God and speaks about how well He planned things and just about his creation. I really love the whole chapter but I'll share just a few verses with you:

  "He sends forth springs in the valleys; they flow between the mountains;
The give drink to every beast of the field; The wild donkeys quench their thirst.

Beside them the birds of the heavens dwell;
They lift up their voices among the branches."


"I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
Let me meditation be pleasing to Him;
As for me,  I shall be glad in the Lord." Psalm 104:1-12 & 33-34


What scripture touched my heart?

"Because lawlessness in increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." Matthew 24:12-13

The sadness of this one pulls on my heart strings. It tells us that many will cease to love God and will not endure to the end and be saved. This also prompts me to action to pray that I too will not fall into temptation and to warn others.

What can I apply to my life?

So I do have two different verses to share here. That is because in my reading I just happened to hit the same story in both Luke and Matthew and both times it made me be convicted to action in this area. It also goes along perfectly with what I shared above.

"Keep watching an praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41

"When He arrived at the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." Luke 22:40

This year has been one that I really have wanted to have a deeper relationship with our God and Father and grow in my prayer life and this was such a good reminder to me of my need to pray so that I am able to resist temptation.

Interesting Fact:

 I was reading aloud to the kids from Luke and we all found this verse very interesting:

"And He said to them, "When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" They said, "No, nothing." And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, And He was numbered with transgressors; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." They said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, it is enough." " Luke 22:35-38

 We just found that whole sword thing interesting especially in comparison with these verses in Matthew that talk about a situation later that same evening....

  "And Jesus said to him, "Friend, do what you have come for. "Then they came laid hands on Jesus and seized Him. And behold, one of those who were with Jesus reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father,  and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" Matthew 26:50-53

We just thought that was really interesting.

  Did you read anything interesting this week? I would love to hear what you got out of your reading!

4 comments:

Amelia said...

This week, Chronicles 16:9 comes to mind. It tells about God's eyes searching to and fro searching for those who have a whole heart, who are blameless towards Him.

Also,the passage about the Ethiopian army marching in but God was watching from afar!

Phillippians 4:8 and 9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

This is a great idea that you are posting this and encouraging interaction Abbi. : )

I've been offline quite a bit lately so I am sure I have missed much.

God bless you Abbi, have a great day as you serve God in your home. : )

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I am doing a 90 Day Psalm and Proverbs Challenge with prayer, journaling, and a quote. It has been so refreshing. I read Ephesians 2 a few times over because I felt impressed to do so. I have been focusing on it. I am having a hard time staying focused which is rare for me. I am even having a hard time in prayer staying focused. But I will persevere by Him. :)

The kids and I are in Matthew and we really have had many discussions on the Laborers that came at all different times but the man paid them all the same and some complained. This brought up a discussion if we thought it was fair for someone to live for God all their life and go to heaven compared to someone who waits until their death bed. This has brought lots of thought as well the precious gifts of grace. But I also told them that the disadvantage of that person that may have waited is that they missed out on so many wonderful experiences and blessings in life by choosing not to live for the Lord.

Abbi said...

Thanks so much to both of you for sharing what God's word has been teaching you too! I love hearing about others diving into God's word.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Abbi, that was interesting. Those others were good passages, too. The only reason for the swords, apparently, was to defend the innocent or ward off robbers on their coming journeys to dangerous places in the outside world. Yet, Jesus had to die, a fact He'd told them about earlier, several times, but they refused to take it literally. Even after He rose, it still took His personal appearances and His explaining the Scriptures for them to get it. Oh, how torn up and confused they must have been, when they saw their Messiah, their King, being led away like a common criminal, saw Him die as the worst of criminals! How easy it is to misunderstand Jesus and His apostles/prophets when we don't wish to face plain truth. That is the biggest lesson I take away from that Scripture comparision. Also, I think of Christ's amazing patience and compassion with His apostles, even though they didn't "get it." A "sword or two," that's all we need in dangerous places and times, but, ah, all the time we desperately the Great Two-edged Sword most of all.

-Sharyl

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin