Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Few Photos of Our Life

 I have been thinking that it would be fun to do a few more "casual" posts where I just share what has been going on with us. Whether they are interesting to you or not I enjoy being able to have that record to look back on. I just am not in the habit anymore of taking as many pictures as I used to but here are a few from this past week.....
   This past Saturday Ken and I were at our Republican county convention. Ken is the chair of our county so he was very, very busy getting ready for this convention. I also had things to help with as I was on the credentials committee and I am also partly in charge of trying to recruit more volunteers to help in our efforts so I gave a short speech about that (giving speeches is stepping out of my comfort zone but I think that is good for me) and then I had a table where I worked to recruit volunteers. We also ran (and made it) to be district/state delegates. In the picture above we are with a local guy, Matt Bliss, who is running for our MN house seat. We want to work hard to help get him elected.

  I do feel strongly that if you have moral convictions and think that our government should be guided by the constitution that you need to do what you can to help with this election cycle. Now is the time to get involved! We have several people running (Hillary, Sanders and Trump to name a few) who don't seem to care at all what either the Bible or the Constitution say. If one of them get into office we are going to be led by somebody that doesn't have those important things guiding their decisions. That is pretty scary to me. But I am fully confident in the strength of our God so even if one of them do get into office I believe He can work through that but it could mean that we are going to face some very hard times. We also need to help get good people elected at our state and local level. They are our first line of defense against an intrusive federal government.
 

  On Sunday afternoon (we went to church in the morning, stayed for a fellowship dinner and then just stuck around at the building and got ready for my recital at 4) I had a music recital for my students. The ones that played are all pictured above. I am missing 3 girls from one family whose Grandpa had recently passed away and they weren't able to make it. I was really happy with how my recital went. The students did really well! Most of them are piano students but some played the violin and some did both and then my boys played banjo and mandolin. We had 45 songs in all but most were short so we got done in an hour.

 I have a "fancy" new grow light for starting my seeds. I bought a LED set-up off of Amazon. It was just strips of light that we had to attach to something so I used some cardboard at least for now.

Our basement has a new look to it with this addition! I have never used a grow light before but last year we had some issues with starting seeds so I thought I would try it. The windows we have here, even though many of them are big and south facing, seem to be kind of to shaded by trees to work well. So this year the seeds are in the basement with a grow light. We do have them by a window too so they will get a little light from that as well.

On Tuesday Mara made us a very yummy supper of garlic green beans and slow cooker pepper steak over noodles. She also made bread that day and it just made me realize how thankful I am that my kids have learn how to work in the kitchen. She will be a blessing to others (hopefully a husband and some sweet little kids) sometime in the future by having those skills.

  Anyway - that is a few peaks at what our week has looked like.

I hope your week is going great! I would love to hear about it.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, I SO agree with you about how we need to work hard to stand up for our Christian values in this election. It has never been more serious or important, in my opinion. The most important thing of all that we can do is to PRAY and beg the dear Lord to have mercy and give us a Godly president who will fight for our Christian liberties. God is our only hope, and prayer is the most powerful weapon we have. I enjoyed visiting with you today and trust the Lord will richly bless you and your sweet family! :)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I love these little "peeks" into your life! You are a very busy lady to teach children music, and run a home... my hat is off to you! I took my children to music lessons for years, and I know firsthand how much patience it requires to teach! It is wonderful that you and your husband are so involved with the local election process, may the Lord bless all you are doing! And your sweet daughter Mara cooked an amazing meal, how wonderful that you have taught her so well!

About your grow lights, I noticed that they were very high above the plants. I did that too when I first started, and then read that the baby seedlings need the light much closer to them, so you might try lowering the lights between 6-12" of the seedlings, and then raising it up as they grow and mature. This was something I did not know, and had to learn by trial and error. You have got a great idea for using makeshift grow lights! Have a blessed day my friend :)

Abbi said...

Cheryl, You are so right about the need to pray! We have been trying to do that and to encourage others to do that as well. That was part of my speech at convention. :-)I think sometimes we forget how great of God we have and how He can work in ways that we don't even imagine.

Spicing up Idaho, Thanks so much for your sweet comment. Thanks also for the tip about the grow lights. I have never used them before so I am very grateful for advice. I have them much lower now. :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin